Jimi the Dog by Meja Mwangi

Photo:Internet
By Wakini Kuria

Jimi the Dog by Meja Mwangi remains my all-time favourite childhood reads. I remember the teacher walking in the classroom balancing novels in her arms. Excitement already aroused l shifted to the front centre desk nearest to hers. Back then, l was a chronic backbencher.

She started recording who took which book. I would crave my neck upwards trying to see the title and the thickness of the book she held in her hands from where l sat.

I wanted the book with most pages. So l sat there watching her dish out books until from the pile she picked what seemed to be the heaviest from amongst the stack and l quickly dashed forward before anyone else.
Looking from above her glasses perched on the bridge of the nose she seemed skeptical and voiced as much.

"Are you sure utasoma hiki kitabu?"

"Yes"


l affirmed nodding and waited patiently as she recorded the details on paper.

I went back to my backbench desk a happy girl. I immediately buried my nose in the book and got lost in the pages.

The character is a small boy who owns a pet dog called Jimi. The boy has an older brother who less often than not mistreats him.
At one point they go to the forest and he leaves him with his dog behind on a rainy dark evening. If you want to know the rest of the details grab yourself a copy of Jimi the Dog by Meja Mwangi.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Matatu operators be the best now. Don't you agree?

Ladies at the gents

THE MAN THAT WAS MY GRANDFATHER