A stitch in time...

By Wakini Kuria
Today has been a rather boring and cold day in the office. There is internet breakdown that has rendered almost all offices there dysfunctional. To top it all l spent the better part of the day alone. Fully charged phones, a desktop and a laptop but no internet! I think l know what depression is. So well after 3pm, the boss walks in. On realising hakuna net he lets me off the day. The joy l feel is almost tangible. 

"You going to Limuru? Twende"


That's a free ride right there! Behold l do a small jig-dance. Quickly l reach for my small porch from the laptop bag l had carried in the morning slapping shut the laptop leaving it on the desk. Grabbing the office key, l lock up in seconds and mimi huyo walking beside him to his car.


On the way, we stop to say hi to a mheshimiwa seated comfortably on a sofa in the lounge. She is on phone so we don't stay. At the car park, his car front passenger door is open and with feet dangling outside is this short and plump man with glasses planted on his clean shaven head. I head for the back seat but the door won't open. The man opens the door and l slip in. Introductions and kumbe the man knows my dad. 


The gear engaged and we are on our way. They are talking politics. I'm not interested so with my nose almost touching the screen l surf with purpose. They try pulling me in their conversation but give up. 'Sorry guys.' Politics ain't my thing! I say inwardly.


At some point, they both fasten their safety belts. I try but mine ain't working. Kaput! I give up and again concentrate on that conversation on WhatsApp.
The guy is obviously speeding and winding up corners like tiga tu! Macharia notes this but he is like "Ninety atakiri guteng'era" slows down a bit then gains momentum kidogo later.


Outside Nazareth Hospital he pulls over and Macharia buys bananas. The vendor brings them to the car. I get two, munch them away and toss the peels outside just like they did. A little guilty because l belong to the Environmental Club but console myself, lakini iyo kitu si itadecompose tu?
The drive continues amidst a few driving concerns that l don't dwell much on. The damn social media is addictive!


Soon tuko Limuru and sasa niseme where l want to be dropped off. Outside Family Bank l slid out mumble my thanks and pleasure to meet you. I almost add thanks for the bananas. Lol.
I limp off to Clean-Shelf Supermarket for bread and milk. Mum had clear instructions nisiwache hizo. So here l am. 


The moment l step inside nafeel kuretreat. The place is overcrowded! Kids are doing their back to school shopping. Anyway, l gotta do this. So, l pick a basket and start on the aisle.
I need my laundry done so detergent, l head out that way. Farther along l see Mercy, a former classmate in high school and we come from the same hood.


She can't help wondering out loud why l shaved hiyo nywele yote! Kidogo kidogo we are trying out different perfumes from the shelves. She won't just decide which! Typical of ladies.


I complain of just how overcrowded it is. We keep bumping baskets with other shoppers!
For my laundry l pick, the necessities then obey my mother and finally we make it to the cashier. That's when it dawns on me that sina pesa!!!! I left my wallet in the laptop bag which now lies comfortably on a shelf somewhere in Kiambu. 


I didn't remember to retrieve it in my moment to get away blinded by the free ride.
I step aside for other shoppers call my mum and explains my predicament. Just after the call l decide to pay via mpesa but then my phone kabooom! Goes dead. 


I catch a few suspicious glares from the attendants. Luckily for me, Mercy miraculously brings the phone back to life. Phew! I can now start breathing. 


Kufika stage!!! Woi sina fare. My coat pocket boasts of twenty-one shillings. Hahaha hii ilikuwa change ya breakfast at the office cafeteria. Mat ni 30 bob.


Again, my friend comes through. Pays my fare then bids me goodbye. All along we couldn't help laughing.
Mercy Migwi dear a BIG Thank You, girl. You saved yours truly!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ladies at the gents

Matatu operators be the best now. Don't you agree?

Strange breed of men!